For the Love of Books!

11.02.2006

I love books and reading. I have loved them ever since I can remember. When I was growing up I rode my purple-bike-with-the-white-seat to the library every Saturday. It was an old brick building with really cool wooden bookcases inside. It smelled good and I loved it. Marian Hardman was the first librarian I can remember. She also lived in the house at the end of our block. I loved Library in Elementary School (yes, it was a subject). We got to spend 30 minutes picking out books and then reading if we so desired. I spent the entire 30 minutes picking out books. I had enough time to read otherwise and wanted to have as many books as possible. I love having stacks of books around the house, and I do. I have a stack by my bed right now. Most nights I intend to read a little, and sometimes I am just too sleepy, but I have been trying to be more intentional about reading at least a little each day. In my List of 50 Things I mentioned that I keep a list of books I've read. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. My brother Jon does it now, too. The first book I remember reading was Charlotte's Web, before I started kindergarten. There have been stretches of time, espeically since I had my baby, that I have not read as much as I'd like. But, my love of books and reading has never faded.

I was tagged to answer these questions about books. I'd love to hear your answers, too!

1. One book that changed your life: Charlotte's Web since it was the first book I remember reading. I remember having to drag my finger along each line because it was a "chapter" book. I was so extremely fascinated with that little group of animals in the barnyard.

2. One book that you've read more than once: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

4. One book that made you laugh: Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. Life is stranger than fiction...'tis true. And, it has now been made into a movie.

5. One book that made you cry: One of my most recent reads, Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocost by Immaculee Ilibagiza. The human spirit is a beautiful thing. But, the tear-jerker of all time is Before and After Zachariah by Fern Kupfer. She was an English professor at Iowa State and I took a writing class from her. She was also very good friends with Jane Smiley, another ISU prof from who I took a writing class. Jane won the Pulitzer Prize for A Thousand Acres. She now lives on a horse ranch in Texas.

6. One book that you wish had been written: The Life and Times of the Norwood Party of Five. The next great American novel, no doubt!

7. One book you wish had never been written: I don't wish this at all. There are several I would never consider reading, but I love the fact that living in this country allows us the freedom to read what we choose.

8. One book you are currently reading: The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. By the way - check out my sidebar wherein I list the books I've recently read. I love seeing what other people read and have found several great books that I might never have read if they were not recommended by someone.

9. One book you've been meaning to read: I have a list of nearly fifty books I want to read. Aside from that, I've always thought I should read more of the classics.

0 comments:

Jillian Inc. All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger